Foreland Inclusion Support Service
The Foreland School
Part of the Specialist Teaching and Learning Service
AIMS OF THE SPECIAL SCHOOL OUTREACH SERVICES
The aim of our outreach resource is to provide a comprehensive support and personalized advice service for pupils with Special Educational Needs, in line with The Children and Families Bill (2014).
The pupils will normally be on the roll of a mainstream school and, as a minimum, will be identified through the Mainstream Core Standards as requiring SEN support.
Special School Outreach Objectives
- To use our expertise to empower and enable mainstream educators and parents/ carers to fully support inclusion for children and young people.
- To upskill mainstream staff using high quality evidence based information and training founded upon the latest research and current good practice.
- To support the development of county wide and national initiatives in SEN provision through the implementation of relevant and appropriate alternative teaching strategies and methods.
- To ensure the mainstream staff have the appropriate knowledge, skills and understanding to provide a differentiated curriculum and/or environment for all SEN pupils in the setting/ school via appropriate support, agreed outcomes, advice and recommendations.
EXPERTISE AND EXPERIENCE
- Advice and resources to raise knowledge & understanding of a range of Special Needs, (particularly Communication and Interaction/ Cognition and Learning).
- Advice and resources to raise knowledge & understanding of a range of medical conditions and diagnoses, including the following:
- Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Down Syndrome
- Genetic Disorders
- Advice on planning a differentiated curriculum and environment within school.
- Support and advice on identifying need and individual pupil assessment as necessary.
- Advice and resources to address social and friendship skills.
- Advice, support and training around visual supports and behavioural interventions: Social Stories/Comic Strip Conversations; SOCCSS; TEACCH and PECS.
- Autism Awareness Training.
- Communicate-In-Print (Symbols) Training.
- Sleep Workshops for Parents and Professionals.
- Makaton support and training.
- Range of books and resources available on a variety of topics and interests.
- Promoting appropriate social behaviour.